As we wrap up martial arts at Camp Acorn, here are some of our favorite activities:
– punches and kicks on the body bag and hand target bags
– knocking Hilary, who is holding a body bag, past the line
– ninja nap
– the superman stretch (laying on your stomach with arms and legs off the ground)
– watching “Kung Fu Panda”
– imitating some of the moves seen in “Kung Fu Panda”
– ninja rope
– animal games
– students being the teacher and leading the class in their idea
Over these four weeks, students have grown in strength, flexibility, and confidence in themselves through martial arts. They have increased discipline, body coordination, stamina, endurance with our games and hard work. Many students were getting closer to touching their toes, doing at least five push-ups, and meditating for one minute!
I can feel the students increased strength when they are punching and kicking the body bag from week one to week four. Through our workouts, they learned to use weld their energy into the bag. There are some powerful punchers and kickers in these group of students! At the beginning of camp, I could feel students were a bit chaotic and unfocused and during this week, most of the students come into class, ready to focus and have fun. They have built a martial arts foundation. I am so appreciative that they took a challenge to try something new and were so receptive. Thank you!